1 ½ cups spelt flour
½ cup rolled oats
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1 tsp orange zest
tbsp. chia seeds + 1/3 cup water
1/3 cup dark brown sugar
3 tbsp maple syrup
2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/4 cup finely chopped rhubarb
1/3 cup chopped dried apricots
1. Stir the chia seeds and water well together in a small bowl and set aside for at least 15 minutes.
2. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line a cupcake tin with 12 liners.
3. In a mixing bowl, stir together the flours, baking powder, baking soda, zest, and salt until combined.
4. In another bowl, add the chia seed gel, olive oil, maple syrup, sugar, orange juice and vanilla extract. Whisk until smooth.
5. Add the flour mixture to the wet mixture and blend just until moistened. Fold in the rhubarb and apricots.
6. Use 1/4 cup measure to pour batter into 12 muffin cups, filling each cup about 2/3 full. Bake for about 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool on a drying rack.
These are best heated up and served with some Earth Balance buttery spread! The chia seeds give this muffin a great texture and lots of fiber. Yum.