Monday, July 22, 2013

Strawberry Ice cream

Back in the Spring , I made some strawberry jam from the freshest strawberries I could buy at the Bloomfield farmer's market. The recipe from Bust magazine which added thyme and balsamic vinegar to spice up the jam. I ended up with more of a syrup and decided to use it to make some delicious strawberry ice cream. I served it over some blueberry lavender pie.

Jam:
5 cups strawberries
2 1/2 cups raw cane sugar
2 sprigs fresh thyme
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar

Smush the strawberries as much as you want using a potato masher in a ceramic pot. I really like having chunks of strawberries in my jam. For a smoother consistency, blend the strawberries. Bring the strawberries and sugar up to a rolling boil on medium heat and then turn the heat down. Simmer for about 5 minutes. (If you cook it longer, it would probably set but I like my jam as fresh as possible.) Then add the thyme leaves and balsamic vinegar and cook for 1 minute longer. The taste that they lend the jam is really subtle but it adds more depth. Pour into clean mason jars and keep in the refrigerator for about 1 week or in the freezer for 1 year.

Strawberry Ice cream

2 cans full fat coconut milk
1 pinch salt
1/2 cup strawberry jam (depending on how strong you want the strawberry flavor)

Mix the coconut milk, jam, and salt together. Chill for 4 hours in the refrigerator. Then process in an ice cream maker!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...