Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Scallion Pancakes


Twilly and I are out porch-sittting in the crazy nice weather! Actually, he is lying down right now, but every time a human or dog walks by he jumps up and wants to run away and become that human or dog's new friend instead of ours. 


I've made scallion pancakes a few times, but I think I've used a different recipe every time. I'm not really sure if I've liked any version much better than any other - what you're going for is nice flaky layers, and I've gotten that every time. I'm posting a combo of the different versions I've tried, which is what I made this time. I like to make a big batch of smallish pancakes and freeze them, frying them up as needed. This time I was a genius and started eating them with a runny fried egg on top, with Sriracha and soy sauce. It's pretty much perfect. I think I had it for breakfast three times that week.

Scallion Pancakes

4 cups flour
2 cups boiling water

Combine flour and water in a bowl and blend until a sticky dough starts to form. Transfer to a work surface and roll into a rough cylinder, about 2 inches wide. Cut the dough into 2" by 2" chunks. Roll each chunk into a rough ball.

1 1/2 cups chopped green onion
sesame oil
salt
pepper (optional)

Roll out one of the balls into a thin disk. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt and drizzle a little sesame oil. If you want, add a little pepper. I didn't this time, and I didn't miss it. Use your fingers or a spoon to press them a little into the dough. Sprinkle some green onions on top. 


Roll the disk into a cigar/burrito.


Spiral the disk back into a ball and roll it flat, about 1/4" thick. 


Repeat with all the balls. If you're saving them for later, freeze them between squares of parchment paper. If they were frozen, you can microwave them for about 30 seconds before frying. To fry, heat up a skillet with about 1/4 inch of oil of med-hi heat. When the oil sizzles, put as many disks in the skillet as you can without them overlapping. Fry until browned.


Top with a fancy ginger soy sauce you made, plain old soy sauce/liquid aminos, Sriracha and/or a fried egg!


1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...