Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Lemon & Dill Chicken Salad


I originally made chicken salad this way, with lemon and dill, for my friend Angela's baby shower, and I made it again for Halloween to serve in pitas! We wanted to make sure we all had some real dinner in addition to the huge amounts of sweets we scarfed while handing candy out to trick or treaters. (The recipe took a while before making it to the blog since I lost my camera charger for the millionth time.)


You can either make this very lemony or just a little lemony, but either way it's a great lunch and a crowd-pleaser! This is just a slight variation on the chicken salad I usually make, which is a little more traditional, without the lemon and herbs and with walnuts. I think I usually use some white vinegar instead of lemon juice in the sauce when I made it the other way.

LEMON & DILL CHICKEN SALAD

5-6 chicken breasts
1 cup green onions (or white onion), diced
1/2 cup raisins (or halved grapes)
1 cup apple, roughly chopped
1/2 cup fresh dill, trimmed and packed (or one very full handful)
1/2 cup mayonaise 
1/2 plain yogurt or sour cream 
juice of 1 lemon
as much zest as you want (1 whole lemon's zest if you want it real lemony)
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tbsp salt
pepper


Boil and shred the chicken. I like to shred it with two forks, but you could cube it with a knife. Mix the chicken with the green onions, raisins, apple and dill. Add or omit whatever you want.

Make the sauce by combining the mayo, yogurt, lemon juice, lemon zest, brown sugar, cayenne, salt and pepper. Mix it all together!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...