Monday, August 11, 2014

Couscous with Eggplant


Linda got a nice new cookbook called Jerusalem, and one of the recipes got me craving some couscous. Of course, I did not follow that recipe because didn't have the main ingredient and because I'm not good at following recipes. Instead, I made this dish, which was way better than I was expecting and definitely my favorite thing I've made in a while.


Linda, Dan and I moved to a new apartment in Squirrel Hill last month, so I have a new Pittsburgh kitchen now! I was able to move most of my plants over, and there's a spot I can turn into a raised bed in the backyard. I've been eating outside as much as possible!

Tomato & Onion Couscous with Eggplant

1 medium eggplant, chopped
olive oil, salt, smoked paprika
1 lemon, thinly sliced & seeded
1 red onion, thinly sliced
1 tsp tomato paste
1/2 tsp sugar
salt & pepper
1 cup couscous
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 tsp turmeric 

Toss the eggplant in the olive oil, salt, smoked paprika and lemon slices. Adjust the spice and oil amounts depending on how big the eggplant is but make sure you use plenty of oil. Roast in a shallow dish for about 30 minutes at 400. 

Meanwhile, saute the onion in olive oil over medium heat. After about 5 minutes add the tomato paste, sugar and some salt and pepper. Cook for another couple minutes and then set aside.

Cook the couscous by boiling the broth with the turmeric and then adding the couscous and turning off the heat. Let sit for about 10 minutes and fluff with a fork. 

Add the onion mixture into the couscous and mix it up. If you want, crisp up some of the couscous by melting a couple tablespoons of butter in a pan, spoon on the couscous and cover for about 10 minutes. 

Serve with the eggplant! So good! I ate a huge plate of it for dinner.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...