Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Cornmeal Jalapeño Waffles

It would make sense to blog some cookies since I have been baking hundreds of them. Those will probably be posted tomorrow since we're busy spending time with friends and family! I've been making brown butter nutella stuffed chocolate chip cookies (find the recipe on Ambitious Kitchen's blog- they are as amazing as they sound). Instead of posting a cookie recipe, I'm going to share something savory that is perfect for brunch. It's the perfect follow- up post to Laura's. I've been meaning to make these cornbread waffles for ages ever since I found them on Warm Vanilla Sugar's site. I added some Jalapeños and cheddar cheese to make the waffles even better. I made these for breakfast the day my sister came home from California!

This is how I make my waffle:


This is Tiffy's waffle:


And they were too spicy for Kelly so she didn't get any :(

INGREDIENTS

2 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour
1/2 cup cornmeal 
1 tbsp baking powder
2 tsp brown sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
2/3 cup melted unsalted butter
4 large eggs
2 1/2 cup buttermilk
4 tbsp chopped green onions
2 jalapeños, seeded and diced
1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar

Toppings:
Salsa
Fried eggs
Shredded cheese
Soft butter and honey 


INSTRUCTIONS

Preheat your waffle iron.
Whisk together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, sugar, baking soda, pepper and salt in a large bowl. In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, butter, and buttermilk. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredient, using a spatula to fold together the batter. Add the green onions, jalapeños, and cheese. Stir until just combined and cook on waffle iron. My waffle iron uses about 1/3 batter per waffle and I got about 2 dozen waffles. 

I fried an egg for each person (sunny side up is the only way my family makes them) and topped each waffle with the egg, salsa, and a drizzle of honey and butter. You can also just serve them with honey butter. I got the idea from a restaurant in DC called Founding Farmers when I went there with Brittany and Laura. It would be about a year ago that we went to get my visa through the snowstorm. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...