Monday, January 5, 2015

Gluten Free Cornmeal Waffles

These waffles are even better than the last cornmeal ones that I posted. The best part is that they are so light since they are gluten free. I tried this recipe with standard flour and it wasn't as good so I wouldn't substitute here. I also doubled the recipe which I found on the Yellow Table. The author went to Grove city for college so she lived in Pittsburgh (!!!) for a bit.


I made these for my family and once again for a New Year's brunch with my high school friends. I made Laura's maple bacon scones as an extra treat. We had mimosas, doughnuts, meats, and giant eagle brand buffalo chicken chips. The chips were a bonus on the guys' run to geagle. During brunch at Lacey's, Rex went crazy with her pups (she has 2!!) in between snatching some bacon and sausage from the table. I mean, how could you resist that face? The blur in the corner is Khaleesi, Lauren's puppy!


1 1/2 cups medium grind cornmeal
1 1/2 cups gluten-free all-purpose flour 
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons brown sugar 
2 cups buttermilk
4 eggs
4 tablespoons melted butter

Cook according to waffle iron instructions. This makes enough to serve 5-6 people. 
So the version above does really well with sweet toppings. Maple syrup, honey, and butter. You could also make them like my last batch of waffles and add 1/2 tsp cayenne, 1/2 cup shredded cheddar, and 1 bunch chopped green onions. These are good with salsa and eggs. 

1 comment:

  1. I was just looking at the Yellow Table because i followed your link and she has a recipe for Nutella Shortbread Brownies!!! http://theyellowtable.com/holiday-baking-nutella-shortbread-brownies/ they look amazing

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...