Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Vegan Blueberry Banana Buckwheat Waffles


Lately I've been craving waffles.  I have a near Leslie Knope level of love for this tasty not-just-breakfast food,  thanks in part to my Aunt Leisa and my babysitter making them for me all the time growing up.  At my aunt's we always smashed ripe bananas and mixed it into the batter, something I continued to do at Duquesne Towers.  Here's a recipe inspired by an Your Daily Vegan's recipe with that incorporated. 


Vegan Blueberry Banana Buckwheat Waffles

Mine made 10 waffles
  • 2 or so bananas, ripe
  • 1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 cup buckwheat flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 3/4 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp cardamom
  • 1/2 tsp ginger
  • 2 cup non-dairy milk (I used almond)
  • 1/4 cup canola oil
  • 3 Tbsp brown sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 handfull of frozen blueberries

  • Smash up those ripe bananas and set aside.
  • Mix all the dry ingredients first, then add in the wet ingredients.

  • Cook the waffles per your waffle maker's directions.  JUST MAKE SURE YOU SPRAY THE IRON! Can't stress that enough.

  • I like mine to be nice and brown.
Simple enough - delcious waffles.  Make sure if you're going to freeze them you let them cool completely first. And in the words of Leslie...
 
"We need to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, work. Or waffles, friends, work. Doesn't matter, but work is third."

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...