I've also been trying to use more whole wheat flour so I'm going to piggyback right off of Laura's delicious looking Honey Whole Wheat Bread with a dessert. This whole wheat banana bread is moist and yummy despite the lack of white sugar/flour. It is very filling and I didn't feel as guilty eating it for breakfast.
What you'll need...
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 packed light or dark brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon (I added a lot more because I do not believe cinnamon needs to be measured)
- 1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (see my above measuring technique when it comes to delicious spices)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups (about 3-4) mashed very ripe bananas
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (optional)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease a 9x5 in. loaf pan
Beat together butter, sugar, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, and vanilla in a bowl until creamy. Add the mashed bananas, honey, and eggs and beat until smooth. Add the flour and chocolate chips. Spoon batter into the pan and let sit uncovered for 10 minutes.
Bake for 50 minutes. Then, place a piece of foil across the top and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 in the pan and then place onto rack until cooled completely.
I made muffins too! If you do this, make sure you grease the muffin liners. I filled them about 3/4 of the way with batter.
And last but not least, Percy! I haven't seen any cats on here and I have a perfectly cute gymnast one laying around so, here he is!