1 cup good cocoa powder
½ cup hot coffee
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 ½ cups almond meal
½ teaspoon baking soda
1 cup raw cane sugar
3 large eggs
⅔ cup extra virgin olive oil
1 large pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 325ºF. Grease a 9 inch round baking pan. Line the bottom with wax or parchment paper if you plan to unmold the cake.
- Measure the cocoa powder into a bowl and whisk in the hot coffee until you have a smooth, chocolatey mixture.
- In another bowl, whisk the almond meal with the baking soda and pinch of salt.
- Put the sugar, olive oil and eggs into a large mixing bowl and beat together vigorously for about 3 minutes until you have a thickened cream. I personally just mixed until my arm hurt and then called it a day. Then add in the vanilla.
- Add in the cocoa mixture until well mixed. Then add the almond mixture a little bit at a time until it is all incorporated.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until the sides are set and the very center still looks slightly damp. A toothpick should end up mainly clean but with a few sticky chocolate crumbs clinging to it.