Friday, May 9, 2014

Creamy Broccoli Soup

As you all can see I've been obsessed with making vegetable soups lately. It could be because I recently acquired a Vitamix and now blend everything I can. My latest favorite is this soup from A Cup of Joe which is a gorgeous lifestyle blog. It tastes like there is cream in the soup because of the potatoes. I made this in Portland while visiting my friend Lauren. It was the last leg of my journey and so much fun. We hiked, biked, ran, and did yoga. I also got to snuggle with her cute puppy, Khaleesi.


1 medium yellow onion
2 leeks
3 cloves garlic
2 carrots
1 stalk celery
2 heaping cups potatoes, cubed
2-3 heads broccoli
1 1/2 tsp cumin
salt + pepper

Roughly chop the onion, celery, and carrot. Slice the white part of the leek only. Sauté in some coconut oil or ghee over medium heat for about 10 minutes. Throw in the garlic cloves and cumin  and cook for a minute. Then add the potatoes and enough water to cover. Bring to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes. Chop the broccoli including stems and add to the soup pot. Add more water to cover and simmer for another 5-10 minutes.
Blend until smooth and season with salt and pepper. Serve with some shredded cheddar and a dollop of plain Greek yogurt. Another delicious alternative is adding a spoonful of pesto just before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...