Monday, May 12, 2014

Simple and Delicious Peanut Butter Pie


Hi all.  Like Kate, I have returned from the depths to blog my first recipe since October, which had been my first since February 2013.  At the end of April, I moved away my home of 8 years, my friends, and my job.  I'm now living outside of DC in Takoma Park, Maryland with all sorts of time to cook and blog.  I'm cooking more than I ever have, mostly because of the no job thing, and hope to share more of my recipes.



Peanut Butter Pie is probably the only food where I always prefer my own recipe.  It's actually a recipe of my mom's from a "Grange Cookbook".  I tried to research what that is and I'm still not exactly sure, but it's a go-to for my mountain momma.  For Mother's Day, we go to my sister's house, and being that this pie is her mother-in-law-to-be's favorite, I always make it.  It's a pretty simple recipe and easy to adapt.  In the past I've added in M&Ms, used a mix of crunchy and creamy peanut butter, and the past few times I've added chocolate to crust and drizzled it on top.  The chocolate was definitely a crowd pleaser during yesterday's Mother's Day dinner.  I use to make this so much that I had the recipe memorized and after having it again yesterday I had to wonder why I stopped.  It's fluffy, delicious, and so easy and quick to make.  I highly suggest making it asap, or at least taking it to your next potluck.


So few ingredients needed.

Simple and Delicious Peanut Butter Pie

1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter (I've always used cheap stuff, never tried natural)
3 oz cream cheese, softened
1 (8 oz) container of Cool Whip
1 graham cracker crust (I always buy mine)
1 cup milk chocolate (optional, but just do it)

In a medium sized mixing bowl beat together powdered sugar, peanut butter, and cream cheese.  Fold in Cool Whip.

Melt chocolate in microwave following the directions on the package, stirring regularly to prevent burning. Spoon 3/4 of melted chocolate into graham cracker crust, smoothing it around gently, covering the bottom and sides.  Add in pie mixture, using a spatula to even it out (so it will be nice and smooth when it freezes).  Top off by drizzling the remaining melted chocolate over the top using a fork.

Cover your pie and let it solidify in freezer for about 2 hrs.  Thaw before serving.




The one, the only, Momma D enjoying Peanut Butter Pie
on Mother's Day 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...