Friday, June 27, 2014

Beet Veggie Burger

I haven't found a veggie burger that competes with OTB's yet in Philly; therefore, I decided to make my own!!! I made these for my family, added too many beets and had them fall apart everywhere. On the plus side, they tasted great. My advice to you all is not to add too many beets (I just love them, I can't help it). The spices in this burger patty really make it awesome.
Anyways, I have not had time to blog since we just got a puppy! His name is Rex and we are so, so in love. He is super sweet. He is also a trouble maker. He broke out of his crate three times. He even met Twilly already! They are friends as long as Laura doesn't pick up Rex or pet him...


I found this recipe by Googling the best veggie burger in the world. I chose a post by that exact title on A Cozy Kitchen.


8 ounces beets, roasted and peeled
1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, washed and drained
1 (15 ounce) can black beans, washed and drained
1/2 cup cooked brown rice
1/4 cup rolled oat flour (make your own in a food processor)
1/2 medium red onion, diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon sumac (substitute lemon zest if you don't have sumac)
1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon cayenne powder
Salt
Pepper

Throw everything except the chickpeas and black beans in a food processor and pulse just until all the ingredients are chopped a little more and incorporated. Then pour into a large mixing bowl and mash the beans into the mixture with a fork. It takes some work. I tried to do this all in the food processor but it makes the texture too mushy.
Shape the mixture into 6-7 patties and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 hour to set. You can even make this a day in advance.
To cook: Fry on both sides until lightly brown (about 1-2 minutes on each side) in some coconut oil.
Serve with strong cheese, ketchup, mustard, salad greens, tomato, and sliced onion. Lots of garnishes aren't necessary since the veggie patty is so flavorful. Or you can upgrade with a fried egg on top!

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...