Thursday, June 5, 2014

Soft Polenta Bowl

During a long walk, I spent the whole time dreaming about my lunch. However, I was not about to make my usual hour long recipe (see other polenta post). I threw this together in about 30 minutes instead with some leftover arugula pesto.
I am currently writing this as Monkey is applying aloe vera to my back. My skin is nice and toasty thanks to my first day working at Mill Creek Urban Farm. It was so good to be back to a farm. I learned how to harvest asparagus and ate some fresh cherries right off the tree with some of my coworkers. My favorite thing about the farm so far is the fruit trees (plums, peaches, mulberries, etc.). All this fruit makes me dream of pies!


1 cup medium ground cornmeal
3 cups water
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 tbsp butter
1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese

Bring the water, cornmeal, and salt to a boil in a medium saucepan. Turn down the heat to medium and stir constantly for 15 minutes until mixture thickens. Add in the butter and Parmesan and stir until incorporated. Let sit for 5 minutes.
Meanwhile get toppings ready. I used what I had on hand. Sliced avocado, tomato sauce (the one from 101 cookbooks is great), fried egg, and fresh oregano. Also-

Arugula Pesto

2 cups arugula, packed
1/3 cup pumpkin seeds
3 cloves garlic, peeled
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
About 1/2 cup olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste

Process the pumpkin seeds, garlic, and cheese together in a food processor. Add the arugula and pulse until finely chopped. Drizzle in the olive oil until the pesto gets to a consistency you like. Season with salt and pepper.

To serve, scoop out some polenta into bowls and top with whatever you like.




1 comment:

  1. that looks tasty. i made polenta kind of like that recently based on a Kitchn post. I made it with garlic, kale & mushrooms!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...