Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Lemon Poppyseed Pancakes

I originally saw a recipe for these lemon pancakes in a recent issue of Instyle that uses quinoa and rice flours. These are the perfect pancakes for spring! However, I lost it while my sister was turning the house upside down. I did find a similar recipe on Food and Wine's website. We've been trying to work towards a more minimalist life. There's a blog in which the author has a total of 50 personal possessions (clothing, furniture, technology). That goal was tried and failed, but I think it is a gradual process. By the way, he doesn't count kitchen supplies, things that are shared by the family etc. He does count books though which are the hardest things to cut down on for me (and dresses). Anyway, Kelly and I have been giving more and more things away and I feel so much better. The feeling will be even greater once I cut down even more I think. I love the idea of being able to pack everything you have easily so you can go anywhere on a whim. As a side note, my mom (the hoarder) thinks we're nuts and goes through our donation bags all the time to rescue our stuff.



3/4 cup quinoa flour
3/4 cup brown rice flour
1 tablespoon arrowroot powder
2 tablespoons raw cane sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 1/2 cups buttermilk 
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
zest of 2 lemons
3 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons poppy seeds 
6 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled

Firstly you want everything at room temperature. Sometimes I just leave the eggs and butter out overnight for ease the next morning. Whisk dry ingredients together in a small bowl. Mix all the liquid ingredients together in a medium bowl. Add the dry ingredients to the liquid. Then cook pancakes on a skillet over medium heat with plenty of butter. I used a 1/3 cup measure. This recipe makes enough for about 4 people. Serve with maple syrup and butter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...