Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Buttermilk Panna Cotta with Sunflower Seed Brittle

Rarely do I try a restaurant without a recommendation or a quick glance at Yelp or TripAdvisor. I just hate paying for food that I can easily make myself. I am literally turning into my mom, ha. We can't take her anywhere because she makes the best food. 
Nick and I were in Easton for our anniversary and all of the restaurants had a long, long wait. So we walked and came across an Italian restaurant and took a chance. It was incredible. We had whole artichokes stuffed with breadcrumbs, Parmesan, and butter. For the meal, rhubarb and strawberry white pizza. I love when chefs totally try something I would never think to make. For dessert we had panna cotta with fresh strawberries and amaretti cookie crumbs with espresso. I was up until 3 after that but it was worth it. So I've been wanting to make panna cotta for awhile. Now I want to make it all the time. You don't even have to turn on the oven for this dessert. It's so light and fresh. Need I say more?
The sesame seed brittle is from the My New Roots cookbook which I cannot rave about enough. It is amazing. I'm cooking through almost every recipe in the book since it starts with spring and follows the seasons. The recipe for this brittle was featured over at Sprouted Kitchen. You can also use any store bought or homemade brittle. I've even used homemade granola. Anything with crunch. 
The rhubarb butter is from this recipe.
The panna cotta is from Martha Stewart who seems to have every recipe ever on her site. 


Instead of dessert, maybe try this in a large tart pan for super fancy brunch?? 
Makes 6 servings 

2 cups buttermilk (whatever fat content you choose- I always go for full fat)
1 1/2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
2/3 cup heavy cream
Scant 1/2 cup sugar 
1 vanilla bean, split

Set 6 ramekins out on the counter.
In a heavy pot, pour in 1 cup buttermilk. Sprinkle gelatin evenly over this buttermilk. Then give it a quick stir and let sit for at least 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, bring the cream, vanilla bean, and sugar just to  a boil. Then pour into the buttermilk/gelatin mixture. Turn the burner to low heat and whisk until gelatin dissolves and no lumps remain. Just a couple minutes.
Stir in the rest of the buttermilk. Take out vanilla bean. 
Pour gelatin mixture into the ramekins. Cover with plastic wrap. Leave in the refrigerator for 4 hours until set. Does this remind you of making jello? Because it really is that easy

To make:
Top with a dollop of rhubarb butter. Crush some brittle and sprinkle on top.
I didn't bother to unmold the panna cotta for even more ease.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...