Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Oatmeal Pancakes

These oatmeal pancakes are the basis of almost every brunch I make. Back in pharmacy school, my friends would make a batch after our exams (which were at 7 am!). It would be a way of celebrating having our lives back if only until the next exam. These were ladies who joined me in many adventures, bikes tours, and cooked meals. Also lots of studying that didn't get done. And sleeping in class. The recipe is from an old school cookbook, but I couldn't find it online. Does this count as citing my source? Am I the worst? Probably. 

I had the recipe written on the back of my pharmacology notes with doodles and stickers from my friends. I'll keep it forever but just in case of zombie apocalypse, etc I'll have it on the internets just in case. Just kidding, I have it memorized. 


This is my adaption. The recipe does great with substitutions. Just don't use gluten free flour. They will turn into rubber. Trust me. You can double, triple, etc the recipe.

Other substitutions/additions:

For the flour:
1/2 cup buckwheat + 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup white whole wheat flour 

For the sugar:

1/3 white sugar for brown sugar

Oats:
Same amount of instant oats

Buttermilk:

1 1/3 cup milk + 1 tsp vinegar
Same amount of thinned plain yogurt

Egg:

Flax egg instead
Chia egg instead 

Additions:
1/2 cup blueberries
1/2 cup chocolate chips
2 tbsp flax seed

Makes 9 medium pancakes

1 cup spelt flour
1/2 cup + 2 tbsp rolled oats
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 tsp cinnamon 
1/3 cup brown sugar 
1 egg
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
2 tbsp coconut oil, melted

Mix dry ingredients together in a medium mixing bowl with a whisk. Make a well and pour in wet ingredients. Whisk until just mixed and few lumps remain. Let sit for 5-10 minutes.
Cook over medium heat until golden brown. Keep in oven at 200 degrees until ready to serve.

2 comments:

  1. You've been on a recipe roll today, Michelle! I love that this recipe is written on the back of old college notes. That makes the recipe and the memories associated with these pancakes all the more special.

    I also like that there's oats in these, implying that they're slightly healthier. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kate! I finally had some extra time on my hands haha.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...