Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Tortilla Soup


Souppppp. Yay for easy, hot soup.

Haircut boy!! Skinny again!
Warning! I used tomato sauce this time since I didn't have paste, and it doesn't work as well. I think the paste is supposed to deepen the flavor and sauce isn't strong enough to do that. Also, when I've made this soup in the past I've used a stronger flavor of salsa and that makes a difference too! Basically, it was good this time, but when I've made it with better ingredients, it's been better!

Tortilla Soup

1 tbsp oil
1 onion, sliced
1 1/2 tsp cumin
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp cayenne
1 jar salsa (Normal-ish size, whatever salsa you like. Spicy if you like spicy.)
4 cups chicken (or veg) broth
2 cups water
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 1/2 cup black beans
1 1/2 cup corn
1 tbsp lime juice
2-3 corn tortillas, sliced (look at the pic below)

Topping options: avocado slices, sour cream, cilantro, cheese, chicken, diced red onion, more tortilla chips (I like to keep putting fresh crispy ones on)

In a large pot (I like using a dutch oven for soups) fry up the onion and spices in the oil. Add the salsa, broth, water, tomato paste, black beans and corn and bring to a boil over med-hi heat. Turn it down a little and let it simmer for about a half hour. Add the lime juice and tortilla strips and let it simmer another couple minutes. 

Serve immediately. Top with stuff!

Usually I just use tortilla chips, but Pioneer Woman does this and it's good.
I had my soup with enchiladas and rice.
We've got quite a few enchilada recipes on the site:


Braving the subzeros without his furry sweater
Some tortilla soup recipes from other sites:

Simply Recipes: 
A popular slow cooker version:
Pioneer Woman: 



2 comments:

  1. I want Mexican food so much I was just about to make my own flour tortillas! But then I found a taco place in Saigon I have yet to go to. That soup sounds yum!!! Btw we watched so much Buffy over break. So much goodness. Did you finish the seasons yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am watching Buffy right now! SO GOOD. I'm at the part where Dawn has just figured out she's the key and Spike has a crush on Buff.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...