Sunday, December 9, 2012

Rajas con crema (on butternut squash enchiladas)


As I understand it, rajas con crema is a Mexican condiment - like if you aren't feeling salsa, put rajas con crema on it. They are roasted poblano peppers in cream sauce.


I bought a couple poblano peppers at Schramm's, and I had stuffed them last time I'd bought these peppers, so this time I made rajas con crema. So far I've had it on brown rice with chicken and baked on top of butternut squash enchiladas.


These enchiladas are just like the pumpkin enchiladas I posted about before (because that's pretty much always how I made enchiladas) except sub in butternut squash and spread some rajas con crema on top before baking. They had some nice spice because I had roasted the squash with cayenne pepper for the butternut squash mac and cheese, but the poblano peppers I used weren't that hot.

RAJAS CON CREMA

6 poblano chiles
1 tbsp butter 
1/2 onion, sliced
pinch salt
1/2 cup Mexican crema (probably not that authentic but I made mine from this recipe)
1/2 cup milk (I didn't add this)
1/2 cup grated Monterey Jack cheese

1. Roast the chiles - line a baking sheet with foil. Cut pepper in half, seed and broil for about 10 minutes. When they're nice and charred, take them out and let them rest in a bowl covered with plastic wrap for about 15 minutes.

2. Strip off skin with your fingers or a knife. Cut into strips. Don't rinse the peppers off in the sink.


3. Cook the onions until translucent  about 3-4 minutes.


4. Add the chiles and salt. Then add crema and milk. Cook for a while to reduce the sauce. Then add the cheese and mix in.




Crazy dog playing with his new-ish bed


Packed lunch

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...