Monday, March 2, 2015

Granola

Since it is still freezing (does anyone else want to move to Hawaii forever?), I'm making all of the cozy breakfasts. Seriously super cereal from My New Roots, baked oatmeal from our archives, and lemon poppyseed pancakes (coming up). I'm also (obviously) making granola. I like to start with a basic recipe and then change it up. My friend Kate introduced me to making granola. Before her, I didn't know it was possible to make granola at home. We both like to consume this granola with plain yogurt and some honey. Best breakfast on the go ever. I got this recipe from chow.com.


3 cups rolled oats
1/4 cup flax seeds
3 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/3 tsp kosher salt
1/3 cup honey
1/4 cup olive oil 
1 tsp vanilla extract 
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup pecan, chopped

Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Line a 9x13 inch baking sheet with parchment paper. In a small saucepan over low heat, heat up the olive oil, honey, and sugar until sugar is dissolved and little bubbles form at the sides.

In a large mixing bowl, throw together the oats, flax, cinnamon, and salt. Pour in the liquid ingredients and stir to mix. Spread an even layer on the baking sheet and bake for about 30-45 minutes, stirring mixture every 15 minutes. Add the pecans in the last 10 minutes or so. I like my oats a little more toasty but the beauty of making your own granola is that you can do whatever you want. Once the granola is cooked, cool completely and add raisins. Store in an airtight container. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...