Everything goes together really well - apples, caramelized red onion, cheddar, sage, bacon...
|He's kind of mad that I've been taking credit for all his blog posts.|
APPLE & CHEDDAR PIZZA
Adapted but almost exactly from the recipe on How Sweet ItIs
white or wheat pizza dough
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large apple, very thinly sliced
5 slices thick-cut bacon, cut into squares
1 small red onion, sliced
1 garlic clove, minced
1 cup freshly grated cheddar
1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
8-10 sage leaves
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Slice onions. Heat a skillet over medium heat and add 1/2 tablespoon olive oil, then add onions with a sprinkle of salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until caramelized, soft and juicy. In the last minute, add garlic and cook for 60 seconds, then set aside off heat.
3. While onions are cooking, cut bacon. Place on a paper-towel lined plate, and cover with another paper towel. Microwave for 3-4 minutes, just until the fat is rendered so the pizza is not incredible greasy. Set aside.
4. Remove pizza dough from the bowl and throw on a floured surface. Using a rolling pin or your hands, roll and shape it into your desired shape. Brush with remaining olive oil and sprinkle with nutmeg.
5. Slice apples (either do this now or, if earlier, preserve with lemon juice), then add about 1/4 cup cheese onto the dough. Place a layer of apples on the cheese, then add the onions and garlic. Add the remaining cheese evenly over top, then finish with bacon and another layer of apples. Lightly coat the sage with olive oil and place on top.
6. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until cheese is golden brown and bubbly.
|Sage from now-abandoned Duquesne Community Garden from DYEP!!|