Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Simple Butternut Squash Soup

This is the first type of butternut squash soup I ever made back when I was living on campus at Duquesne (ah, Brottier). I got the recipe from a magazine I suppose. I also didn't have a blender at the time, so I used a mini food processor to blend the soup. It took so long! Haha. This recipe is still a staple of mine since I usually have the ingredients laying around the apartment in the fall. (I have been known to hoard squash.)


3 unpeeled apples, cored and quartered
1 large unpeeled butternut squash, seeds removed and cut into 1 inch cubes
1 large onion, peeled and quartered
3 cloves of garlic
1 small bunch of sage, sliced
1 tablespoon of rosemary
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
3 cups of homemade vegetable stock (more or less depending on how thick you like your soup)

As a side note, I don't like peeling vegetables, especially if their peels are edible. I figure if you are blending the soup anyways, it doesn't make a difference. Also as a bonus most of the nutrients and fiber is in the peel, not to mention it is way less work. Also all the soup got eaten before I could take a picture. Above is a picture of the roasted vegetables!

Directions: Place the apples, butternut squash, and onion into a 9 by 13 inch baking pan and drizzle with olive oil. As an alternative, you can just add about an inch of water to the bottom of the pan instead of oil.

Toss some salt, pepper, cinnamon, and rosemary on the mixture. Roast at 375 degrees until the squash can be pierced easily with a fork, about 45 minutes to an hour. Put all of the ingredients minus the sage into the blender and blend until the soup is a consistency you like. Pour the soup into a saucepan, add the sage, and heat up the mixture to serve. Season with salt and pepper.
I like to serve the soup with some extra sage and olive oil. It's a really hearty soup-perfect for those chilly fall days!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...