Monday, February 4, 2013

Avocado Cupcakes

There's this lady in Pittsburgh that makes vegan treats and sells them at various farmer's markets and fairs. At the I Made it Market before Christmas time, I tried one of her avocado cupcakes and it was phenomenol. I finally got around to making them myself. You can really taste the avocado in the cake part and the cupcakes turn out to be a really great pale green color. The avocado replaces the fat in this recipe which is pretty cool. I found this recipe off of epicurean vegan's blog. I did, however, substitute actual yogurt instead of soy yogurt so my version is not vegan.

INGREDIENTS:

Cupcakes:
1-1/2 C all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
1 avocado, pitted and peeled
1/2 C packed light brown sugar
3/4 C almond milk
1/3 C plain yogurt
2 tsp vanilla

Frosting:
1/4 C Earth Balance margarine
1 C confectioner’s sugar
Coconut cream
Sweetened condensed milk

DIRECTIONS:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a 12-cup muffin with liners. In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. In the food processor, puree the avocado.
Add the almond milk, yogurt, sugar, and vanilla; blend until smooth and creamy.

Add the flour mixture to the wet mixture with a whisk until there are very few lumps.

Divide the mixture among the muffin tins and bake for about 15-20 minutes.

To make the frosting, I did not measure anything but I combined the ingredients a little bit at a time until I liked the taste and consistency of it. Let the cupcakes cool before frosting! I actually like to wait until I'm ready to serve them and then just frost them right before.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...