Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Sweet Potato Corn Chowder

I have decided that Lent is a good time for soups.  Somehow it seems a little easier to go meatless when there is a pot full of colorful veggies simmering on the stove and making the house smell SO GOOD.  Plus, there's nothing like a hot bowl of soup on a cold day.  In an attempt to have a more intense Lent this year I'm trying to be vegan every other week... I know I couldn't make it for the entire 40 days, but maybe next year!


Ingredients:
2 cups vegetable broth (I used veggie bouillon.  Someday I vow to actually make my own broth!)
2 small sweet potatoes
a handful of baby carrots
1-2 celery stalks
1/2 of an onion
1-2 cloves of garlic
1/2 cup milk or soymilk
1 cup of corn, canned or frozen
salt and pepper

In a medium saucepan, bring the broth to a boil.

Chop the veggies, potatoes, and garlic.

The first time, I used regular baking potatoes, but sweet potatoes make everything better (even when I forget to take a picture).

 Add veggies, potatoes, and garlic to broth and return to a boil.  Add salt and pepper, to taste.  Reduce heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes.

Add milk and corn.  Continue to simmer for 5-10 more minutes until the broth obtains a thicker, chowdery consistency.

This soup would probably be really good with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese on top. Or bacon.   mmmmm, bacon.  Maybe I'll find out after Lent is over!

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...