Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Baked Vegetable Egg Rolls

While I was attempting to make Kate's butternut squash stuffed ravioli, I discovered that I had bought egg roll wrappers not wonton wrappers. So the wrappers sat in the refrigerator for a couple of days while I pondered what to make out of them. The answer was obvious yet it took me awhile to figure it out- egg rolls! I don't have a deep fryer, so I went with the baking option. Healthier but still delicious. I found a recipe that I liked on For the Love of Cooking but I didn't have some of the ingredients it called for. Therefore I made a good amount of substitutions.


You will need:

Egg roll wrappers
2 cups shredded red cabbage
2 cups shredded carrot
2 cups shredded various radishes (daikon works great)
7 shiitake mushrooms, chopped
3 scallions, chopped
1 inch piece of ginger, peeled and diced
3 large cloves of garlic, diced
3 tablespoons Hoisin Sauce
Sweet and Sour Sauce (I made mine from sweet chili sauce and honey)

Directions:

Prepare the vegetables. Chopped various radishes:


Heat some olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat, and then add the radishes, carrots, and cabbage along with about 1 tablespoonful of water.

Cook until softened. Then add the mushrooms, ginger, garlic, and hoisin sauce.




Cook about 2-3 more minutes, add the green onions, and then take off heat and let cool.


Once the vegetable mixture is cool, you can start assembling the egg rolls. Spray a baking sheet with some oil and preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Grab a small bowl and fill it with water, then set aside. I like to make my egg rolls on a cutting board because I tend to make a mess.


Peel one of the wrappers from the pile and set it on the cutting board. Then add one large spoonful of vegetables onto the lower corner of the wrapper. It looks like I did not follow my own directions and I just plopped the filling in the middle. Oh well.
Then fold the lower corner over the filling, and then the sides. Just like a burrito or an envelope.
Then wet your fingers and dab the top corners of the egg roll with water and then roll to seal.

Place cut side down on the baking pan. Brush generously with some coconut oil (or whatever oil you have).

Bake for about 10 minutes until golden brown and crunchy. Serve with sweet and sour sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...