Monday, December 10, 2012

Bust Borscht

While reading our issue of Bust magazine (not a magazine about statues, but feminism!), I decided to make a couple of the featured winter soups. This borscht is vegan and I believe it is Eastern European in origin. It is a mild soup but since I love beets that is ok with me! I picked the beets this week while I was at the farm to plant tulips.

Vegan Borscht

1 large yellow onion, chopped
3 stalks celery, chopped
4 carrots, chopped
5 medium sized beets, chopped
2 medium potatoes, diced
1/4 head of cabbage, chopped
4-5 cups of water or vegetable broth
a couple tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
fresh dill
fresh parsley



Saute the onion in a large soup pot for a couple of minutes.

Then add the celery, carrots, and beets and cook until tender.

Add the cabbage and saute for another couple of minutes. Then add the liquid and the potatoes. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 40 minutes until all the vegetables are tender.

Season with salt and pepper. I like to blend half of the soup so that it is still a little chunky. Serve with a spoonful of vinegar and plenty of dill and parsley.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...