Sunday, December 2, 2012

Moxie's Crystallized Ginger Cookies


Michelle made some tasty gingerbread/snicker-doodle cookies at her place last night, and they reminded me of these cookies. I don't know who Moxie is - but that is what the recipe is called on Food.com and I like it. And my dad used to like a pop-type drink called Moxie, but I don't think I've ever seen it and am not really sure what it is.

We always have cinnamon and sugar in a shaker like the one next to the bowl.
We always have cinnamon and sugar in a shaker like the one next to the bowl. The last time I made these cookies they were pretty much perfection and very addictive (ask my sister's boyfriend who ate like 10 of them), but I figured I'd experiment and add some cream of tartar to see if they puff up more, just for the sake of science.


Result of experiment: Success. The cookies didn't spread out quite as much as last time and so they were a bit prettier. But if you don't have cream of tartar you can just use 2 tsp of baking soda.


MOXIE'S CRYSTALLIZED GINGER COOKIES
Adapted very slightly from the recipe on Food.com

11 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1/4 cup dark molasses
1 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 1/2 ounces candied ginger, coarsely chopped (about 1/2 cup)

1. Cream butter and sesame oil with molasses, sugar and egg.

2. Sift together dry ingredients (except candied ginger) and add to creamed mixture. Blend well. Fold in candied ginger.

3. Chill for one hour. After 45 minutes or so, preheat oven to 375.

4. Form into 1-inch balls, roll in granulated sugar. Mix in some cinnamon first if you like.

5. Put cookies about 2 inches apart from each other on greased baking sheets (or one you have lined with parchment paper).


6. Bake 7-8 minutes.

That's my sister's hand helping out.
My grandparents watched the Steelers while I baked the cookies.

1 comment:


  1. also if you want to see a movie Moxie made it's called "hold fast" and is really cool about sailing

    cookies

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...