Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Hearty Pumpkin Soup


I made this soup for the cookie exchange so we could have something other than pure sugar to eat for the night! It started out as a simple creamy potato soup, but I decided to go with a vegetable pumpkin soup instead since we had so many vegetables at the apartment. I was at the farm a couple of weeks ago and I picked some radishes that I included in this soup. The greens are separated since I used them in another recipe. They are sweet and delicious on top of a pizza! I wanted to include some pictures in the blog since I think they are pretty!




At last, the recipe!


Pumpkin Soup

1 large red onion, diced
1 small white onion, diced
1 leek, light green section sliced (dark green saved to make veggie stock)
4 large carrots, chopped
5 radishes, chopped
1/4 head of cabbage, thinly sliced
3 red potatoes, chopped
2-3 cups vegetable broth, depending on desired consistency of the soup
2-3 cups pumpkin puree
1 can chickpeas
1 tablespoon dried thyme
1 tabletspoon dried rosemary

Saute the leek and onions until softened.


Add the carrots, cabbage, and the radishes and cook until slightly softened. Add the broth, herbs, and potatoes and bring to a boil. Simmer on low until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes. Add the pumpkin puree and chickpeas and heat up the soup until it is hot enough to serve. Season with salt and pepper to your taste. I garnished the soup with some dried rosemary and served it with some delicious foccacia from Mancini's in the Strip District.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...