Saturday, December 22, 2012

Honey Buttermilk Dinner Rolls

I made the buns for Christmas dinner today! I've baked buns from this recipe maybe three times before, but this time I think they were extra good, like melt-in-your-mouth buns. They call for buttermilk powder, which we usually have in the fridge to sub for liquid buttermilk. It keeps for a long time. I doubled the recipe this time so we'd have plenty for the holidays.


We're almost ready for Christmas!

My sister Linda took this one today. :)

Honey Buttermilk Dinner Rolls
Adapted from maybe Good Housekeeping? Cut out a couple years ago?

1/3 cup (to mix with yeast) plus 1 tbsp (for glaze) honey, plus more for serving

1 packet active dry yeast (when recipes say that I normally use about 2 tsp)
4 1/2 cups flour
1/4 cup dry buttermilk powder
1 1/2 tsp coarse salt
1/4 cup milk
2 large eggs
3 tbsp butter, melted


1. In your big mixing bowl, combine 1/2 cup warm water, 1/3 cup honey and yeast. Stir to dissolve yeast and set aside to make sure it gets frothy.


2. About 5 minutes later (or, in my case, more than an hour later...) add and combine 4 cups of the flour, the buttermilk powder and salt. Then add in the milk, eggs, and melted butter. Stir to combine until it comes together. Add more flour if it's too sticky.


3. Knead dough on a lightly floured surface until smooth, 5-8 minutes. Place dough in a buttered bowl and cover with plastic wrap or towel. Rise until doubled, about 45 minutes (or, in my case, about 3 hours... I was distracted). 


4. Preheat oven to 375. Divide dough into 16 balls (or however many you want). Butter two pie pans and place the balls in the pans, loosely and hardly touching if at all. Cover again and let rise for another 20 minutes. 


5. Mix another tbsp melted butter with another tbsp honey. Lightly brush on the rolls (I used my fingers to avoid getting more things messy). Bake until golden, 20-25 minutes. Cool in pan for 15 minutes then turn onto wire rack. Serve with additional honey and butter if desired.




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...