Friday, March 22, 2013

Seed and Nut Bread

Oh Pittsburgh, you have the worst winter weather. We're all waiting for the Spring to come, but all we're getting is more Winter! To make the best of the situation, I've been making a collection of winter foods. Think homemade hot chocolate, baked macaroni and cheese, and hearty soups. I think these foods will keep me going until the sunshine comes back.
The author of the blog, My New Roots, calls this life-changing bread. It basically is. It's pretty simple to make and delicous. Not to mention packed full of fiber and protein. A farmer friend recommended this blog to me, and I found that I love the nutritional facts and the delicious, healthful recipes.
The only note to add is that the author used a silicone pan, which meant that the bread was more easily removed. I used a ceramic one, which meant that the bread got kind of stuck. I just ate the pieces that were stuck to the pan and served kind of banged up looking bread. Still tasted good though! I got the psyllium seed husks from the East End Coop and it is used to bind the bread.

The Life-Changing Loaf of Bread

Ingredients:
1 cup sunflower seeds
½ cup flax seeds
½ cup whole almonds
1 ½ cups rolled oats
2 Tbsp. chia seeds
4 Tbsp. psyllium seed husks (3 Tbsp. if using psyllium husk powder)
1 tsp. fine grain sea salt
1 Tbsp. maple syrup
3 Tbsp. melted coconut oil
1 ½ cups water

Directions:
1. In a loaf pan combine all dry ingredients, stirring well.

2. Whisk maple syrup, oil and water together in a measuring cup. Add this to the dry ingredients and mix very well until everything is completely soaked and dough becomes very thick . Smooth out the top with wet fingers. Cover and let the bread sit out on the counter overnight to soak up the water.

3. Preheat oven to 350°F .

4. Place loaf pan in the oven on the middle rack, and bake for 20 minutes. Remove bread from loaf pan, place it upside down directly on the rack and bake for another 30-40 minutes. Bread is done when it sounds hollow when tapped. Let cool completely before slicing.

5. Store bread in a tightly sealed container for up to five days. Freezes well too – slice before freezing for quick and easy toast!

I ate some toast with some vegan cream cheese spread. Yum! I'm also planning on making some vegan and gluten free reubens (with vegan mayonaise, vegan pepperjack, and sauerkraut) with this bread. I'll post some pictures later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...