Thursday, March 14, 2013

Vegan Chocolate Ice Cream

I have an ice cream maker!!! (Well technically it is also Nick's) It was a gift from my cousin Theresa for my bridal shower. Of course, I screamed when I saw the package, but then I recovered and put it in the freezer so I could make the ice cream as soon as possible. Since the canister has to freeze for at least 24 hours, I had to wait a whole day! Tragedy. My blue ice cream maker:


As a note, I've been dreaming of ice cream sandwiches. There's a place called Cream in Berkeley, California that is just magical. You design your own ice cream sandwiches complete with warm cookies that come right out of the oven to create the ultimate ice cream sandwich. I didn't even get to the best part yet. They are only 2 dollas!!! My choice was a snickerdoodle and chocolate chip sandwich with salted caramel ice cream. Ahhh.

I used a basic recipe that I've seen on several vegan websites. Coconut milk ice cream is so wonderful and creamy.

1-14 ounce can full fat coconut milk
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1/4 cup honey
1 tsp vanilla
1 pinch sea salt

Mix the ingredients together with a wire whisk. Then cover the bowl and let cool in the refrigerator for 1-2 hours. I have skipped this step before with good results. Then pour the mixture into the ice cream maker and let it mix for about 20 minutes until it gets to the texture you like.

I like a firmer ice cream. Then transfer the ice cream into a container and freeze until ready to eat. Before eating, you have to defrost it for about 15 minutes otherwise you will break your spoon.

On another note, Nick and I went to Fukuda in Bloomfield yesterday to get sushi and ramen (which was incredible). I actually wanted to start crying as I ate my pork ramen since it was so perfect. Anyways, we had their chocolate shiitake mushroom ice cream with a lavender powder. This is my new favorite ice cream, and it is now my life goal to veganize and recreate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...