So, I know strawberries aren't in season yet, BUT Meijer was having a crazy sale last week at $1 a package. I couldn't resist... so I got seven.
They typically freeze really well, and I make breakfast smoothies a lot, so Mark and I will pretty much be set on strawberries for a month or two. The containers are practically taking up half of the freezer.
I love making scones. They're surprisingly easy to make, and can be acceptable as a breakfast item, too. The recipe I found called for a cup of chopped strawberries, but hardly put a dent in the container. Following a quick Google search I found a recipe that uses Greek yogurt, so I went with that. You can see on the Chobani web site here.
• 3/4 cup strawberry Greek yogurt (I used vanilla and it worked fine)
• 2 c all-purpose flour plus extra for dusting work surface
• ¼ c sugar plus 2 T for sprinkling
• 2 t baking powder
• ½ tsp baking soda
• ¼ tsp kosher salt
• 4 Tbsp cold unsalted butter cut into ¼-inch cubes
• 1 c chopped fresh strawberries
They make a great healthy(ish) evening snack, too! I think adding the yogurt made them even chewier than they'd normally be, which is fine with me. Might try adding rosemary next time.