Sunday, March 3, 2013

Strawberry Scones!



So, I know strawberries aren't in season yet, BUT Meijer was having a crazy sale last week at $1 a package. I couldn't resist... so I got seven.

They typically freeze really well, and I make breakfast smoothies a lot, so Mark and I will pretty much be set on strawberries for a month or two. The containers are practically taking up half of the freezer.



I love making scones. They're surprisingly easy to make, and can be acceptable as a breakfast item, too. The recipe I found called for a cup of chopped strawberries, but hardly put a dent in the container. Following a quick Google search I found a recipe that uses Greek yogurt, so I went with that. You can see on the Chobani web site here.

Ingredients:
• 3/4 cup strawberry Greek yogurt (I used vanilla and it worked fine)
• 2 c all-purpose flour plus extra for dusting work surface
• ¼ c sugar plus 2 T for sprinkling
• 2 t baking powder
• ½ tsp baking soda
• ¼ tsp kosher salt
• 4 Tbsp cold unsalted butter cut into ¼-inch cubes
• 1 c chopped fresh strawberries

Directions:
1.) Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In a large bowl whisk together flour, ¼ cup sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add butter and using a pastry cutter or your fingers, cut butter into flour mixture until it resembles coarse cornmeal.





2.) Stir in strawberries, then gently incorporate yogurt, taking care not to over mix.

3.) Turn dough onto a heavily-floured work surface. Fold dough on top of itself to knead, 3 to 4 turns, then pat into 1 1/2-in thick rectangle. Fold rectangle into thirds and shape into a 1-inch thick circle. Cut into 8 wedges. (I made 12 little ones)

4.) Arrange wedges on parchment paper-lined baking sheet and sprinkle tops of scones with remaining 2 Tbsp sugar. Bake until golden brown, 12 to 15 minutes. Cook on a wire rack before serving.

They make a great healthy(ish) evening snack, too! I think adding the yogurt made them even chewier than they'd normally be, which is fine with me. Might try adding rosemary next time.

1 comment:

  1. These sound really good! I have some blueberries so I'll make some scones them with those asap. And probably add lemon zest because what's the point of baking something without lemons???

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...