Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Vegan Pumpkin Peanut Soup

The first time I made this soup, I was living on a reservation in Warm Springs, Oregon. I was living with my friend, Chris, who is a wonderful vegan cook. He taught me so much about vegan cooking and definitely inspired me to try to live more compassionately through the vegan lifestyle. This recipe is from his cookbook, Color Me Vegan by Colleen Patrick Goudreau, which is a gorgeous recipe source. The unique flavor combination is what really stood out to me about this soup.


3 stalks celery, chopped
3 carrots, chopped
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
3 yellow potatoes, diced (keep the skin on)
1 large can garbanzo beans
2 bay leaves
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp dried ground sage
1 tbsp curry powder (my personal touch)
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1 3/4 heaping cups pumpkin puree
3/4 cup peanut butter
1 cup boiling water
fresh parsley and peanuts for garnish

Saute the celery, carrots, and onion until fragrant and translucent for about 10 minutes. Combine the boiling water with the peanut butter, whisk until smooth, and add to the vegetables. Add the potatoes, pumpkin, beans, and spices. Add about 3 cups of water depending on how thick you want the soup to be. Simmer for about 30 minutes until the potatoes are tender. Serve hot with the parsley and peanuts sprinkled on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...